Wednesday, January 1, 2014

MiRV stands for “Man in RV”

You may be asking yourself why I would have a nickname like MiRV (which is pronounced as Merv)? Well, nicknames for myself and other people we know has been a long, very long tradition.


The “tradition” started many years ago while was serving in the US Armed Forces. See...you run into many people with “odd” or sometimes “peculiar” attributes about them. It could be something about the way they look, they way the act, their job or where they live. It's not meant as a demeaning “label” but as a way for us (those who know the nickname) to use in reference without everyone knowing what we are talking about.


The use of these nicknames is very similar to the use of “call signs” by Air Force aviators.


However, I regress....and need to get back on topic – the MiRV Blog!


We are a recently retired, young (late 40s) couple who has chosen to start our NextLife on the road. See after 27 years of serving the great United States of America as a military service member, we have to change careers late in life...which means we can't serve beyond a certain number of years (maximum is 30 years if you achieve the highest rank possible). So for the next few years, we have decided to enjoy our time a little more than we have in the past. See...as a member of the military, you spend A LOT of time away from the family. Some spend more and some less, but usually the time apart is spent in some dangerous locations around the world. While I spent over 5 years of the 27 AWAY from my family, I have no regrets. I enjoyed “serving”...many should do it! I understand what I (and my family) have paid for the freedoms of the many. It is the few, the veterans of this great country, who carry the burden of freedom on our shoulders.


However, NOW we find our selves – unemployed (I stopped looking after 12 months), homeless (living in our RV) and HAPPY! Yes, we are VERY HAPPY.


Even though we have chosen to live in “240 square feet of bliss”, many couples could not or would not do well in this lifestyle. If you like your space, this is NOT for you. However, I married my high school sweetheart, 27 years ago and I am still IN LOVE with her as much today as I was back then. We ENJOY spending time together...I mean ALL OF OUR TIME together. We still hold hands, go for long walks (together), eat almost every meal together and just enjoy hanging out together.


We started this RVLife 12 months ago when we bought our first (yes this is our 1st) RV, a gently used 2002 Itasca Sunova 30B (we can her Sunny). When I say lightly use, I mean it had only 11500 miles on the odometer and only 120 hours on the generator. So the pervious owners had used Sunny very lightly over the past 10 years...and we took possession to begin our RVLife.


Now, after one year of traveling the Midwest and Southeast US, we are currently “snowbirds” in Central Florida where we are planning our next year of traveling the East Coast, Great Lakes and back to see family in the Midwest.


Hopefully, you will find something of use out of this blog...I look forward to sharing a few things about our life on the road OR as we like to call it – “Living the Dream – Life on the Road”.


"Sunny" with TOAD in tow including surfboards and bikes

BTW:  Check out my other blog Surfing Safari 

#RV
#Motorhome
#FullTimer

No comments:

Post a Comment